09 Mar Covid-19 – what preparations and precautions do you need in your business?
Talk to fellow HHBA member Naomi Gollow from The People Magic Company Limited if you need help or advice.
- Make sure your workplace is clean and hygienic;
- Promote regular and thorough hand-washing by everyone
- Provide all employees with an alcohol-based hand rub
- Encourage people to use and bin tissues
- Develop a contingency plan: Consider the impact on your business continuity plan and update it if necessary. Where possible, make contingency plans for homeworking if it becomes necessary – if you have an employee who needs to self-isolate but without symptoms, do you and they have the right equipment to do their job from home?
- Check your sick pay policy. If an employee is told to self-isolated by their GP, the chances are they will be given a fit note for work, and become eligible for SSP, or company sick pay.
- If an employee self-isolates without medical advice, you may require them to attend work and it may or may not be treated sick leave, but it’s important to understand any underlying health conditions, including mental ill-health.
- Equally, if you decide to enforce self-isolation for an individual as a precautionary measure without medical advice, you will need to continue to pay your staff; and check your sickness absence policy – does it work for you if you need to ask an employee to self-isolate for precautionary reasons? Consult with and seek agreement from your workforce to make a temporary amendment if you need to.
- If an employee’s children are sent home because of school closure – talk to your employee about working from home, or taking holiday, or (unpaid) emergency time off or parental leave.
- If you have supply chain issues which result in reduced need for employees to be present for a period of time, check your employment contracts before making any decisions, as this could land you in a redundancy situation if not handled with care.
- Talk to your staff! Make sure they know what you’re doing; explain the policies, where to find them, and who they can talk to if they have questions.
Talk to us on 01444 812844 if you need help or advice in sorting out any of the above.
Naomi Gollow MCIPD
The People Magic Company Limited
01444 812844 / 07368 444742